Search This Blog

Thursday, 28 January 2016

East Bergholt, St Mary's, Suffolk

Will Lott's cottage at Flatford Mill
We visited Flatford Mill (National Trust) and visited East Bergholt church on our way back.

East Bergholt Church
Bell Cage adjacent to church
This must be pretty unique having its bells at ground level in a bell cage separate from the main church. There is no tower attached to the main church building. One was never built. Apparently they ran out of money in the 1500s after Cardinal Wolsey's fall from grace.  The bell cage is "temporary", although after nearly 500 years I doubt they will move the bells soon. They were moved in the 1600s because of noise complaints (according to Wikipedia).
Bells in the Bell Cage
The church was open when we went and seemed active with what looked like a lunchtime group meeting in a new(ish) room at the back of the nave. Most of the church dates from just before the Reformation.
Nave looking towards altar
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Bergholt .
See http://www.suffolkchurches.co.uk/eastbergholt.htm .
As always, there is MUCH more detail and a lot more photos on the second link shown.

We ate lunch at the nearby King's Head. Food was good, not expensive and service fast. My wife had a pulled pork sandwich and I had crayfish.
Lunch at the King's Head

1 comment:

  1. I received this as an email.....

    Hi Roger

    I posted a comment on your churches blog about another church I know with an adjacent bell tower. It was a feature I saw a lot of on our trips to the seaside when I was a child. However my comments rarely appear, an issue with Google authentication I think, so I'll just email you.

    It is at Brookland on the Romney Marsh in Kent. See Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Augustine%27s_Church,_Brookland). We used to drive past it when we were visiting Dymchurch, Camber Sand or Rye.

    Dave now 2E0DRJ - was M6DFA and now doing the Bath Advanced Distance Course

    ReplyDelete